Archive for the ‘Home Repair’ Category

Crawfish and Adventures in Home Repairs

Wednesday, March 20th, 2013

This weekend, my Hubby, his friend, and I boiled roughly 30 pounds of live crawfish. I sorted out the moving from the non-moving crawfish Sunday morning. The result was a cooler almost half full of wriggling creatures.

Then, we had to make sure that the crawfish understood the rules – they were for eating! We accomplished this through a very in depth staring contest… For awhile, I wasn’t sure who would win. Fortunately, the humans had multiple large pots of boiling, seasoned water that made the crawfish rather nervous.

Unfortunately, I have no more pictures to show, but we did quite enjoy about 15 pounds of crawfish, leaving us with about another 15 pounds to shell for later (Crawfish Nachos, Crawfish Bisque, Crawfish Gumbo, Crawfish Etoufee, the possibilities are limited by the amount of crawfish you have on hand). I had to go to work, so I quickly packed the unshelled crawfish into the spare refrigerator (usually used for beverages) and left for work.

My hubby texted me Monday morning that the fridge wasn’t cold, could I check the settings when I got home. I check and the fridge is at least room temperature. We don’t know how long the crawfish have been sitting at room temperature, so we say bye-bye to the little fellows (and our Crawfish Nachos)!

I set about to begin salvaging or tossing the rest of the food and drink in the fresh food and freezer compartments, and notice that the freezer is still frozen. Upon further examination, I see water dripping from the roof of the fridge (top freezer setup). I also notice that there are 2 holes completely filled with ice, presumably leading to the defrost drain for the freezer.

My first action was to defrost the holes to attempt to allow the air through the system. I was able to feel some cold air coming through  but not enough to cool the fridge down significantly. I then started removing screws from the back of the freezer interior wall. First out was the ice maker that had not been used since the previous owners. Then the cover for the evaporator fan came down and out. At this point, I spot my primary problem Рthe fan was not so much as twitching. After reading several boards online about the fans in GE Refrigerators stopping, I came to realize that this is a fairly common problem. Luckily it has a surprisingly simple solution that involves tools as simple as a ratchet (or drill with a bit that fits the screw) and your hands.

I picked up the new motor for the fan at a Appliance Parts Shop about 20 miles away from my house for about $80. The motors are available online for about $50 shipped, but the Hubby wanted this problem gone. When I got the part home, I unscrewed the back wall to reveal the condenser (defrost?) coils. When you do this, it unplugs the light attached to the back wall. It was at that point that I decided to unplug the refrigerator/freezer (unit). Then I unscrewed one more piece which holds the fans and the motor itself.

The motor mount is held on with two screws, which free the motor mount once unscrewed. The motor can then be unplugged from the electrical connection. Two more screws remove the mount from the motor, and the new motor can replace the old. i then plug  the new motor into the electrical connection and plug in the unit Рthe fan is now purring like a kitten. I unplug the unit again, and reverse the steps to remove all of the panels. Finally, I plugged the unit back into the wall and let it cool off. A few hours later, it is good as new!

I was sorry to have such an expensive meal go to waste, but I am glad that the refrigerator was fixable and proud that I was able to do it myself. I will take spending $80 for a part over spending $600 on a new fridge any day!